Thursday, March 21, 2013
Who are you to judge?
I am just going to throw it out there, I didn't go to a 4 year university. I CHOSE to take my education in a different direction. Do i regret it? NO! I went to a trade school. I learned the art of Dental Assisting. Have I used my education in the last few years? Yes I have! Has it been in a dental office? Nope. What?!?!? I put my skill to use in everyday life, I do it every time i check on my girls teeth. I do it every time i look at my own. I do it when my family calls in need of advice. Why the rant? There have been people that I have come in contact with over the past few years that have looked down on me and turned their noses up at the fact that i CHOSE to go to a trade school. The majority of the people that have done this have or were in the process of getting their bachelors degree or masters. For a long time now I chose to let that get to me. That feeling that i wasn't good enough, and that i wouldn't be good enough until I had that beautifully framed diploma on my wall. Shame on me, I worked very hard for the skills that I have and Graduated with a 4.0. I gave up a lot my senior year in order to accomplish what I have. Don't you dare think for one second that you are better than me in any way just because you spent three more years in higher learning than I did. My patriarchal blessing tells me that great blessings will come through education. I realize now that that education isn't a four year degree necessarily it's taking advantage of the opportunities around me to learn and gain new skills. Then by practicing those new skills and sharing them with others I am able to educate. I love dental assisting, and I love learning. I know that I am terrible at math and write like a twelve year old. I also know that I am smart, I can make killer bread, and I have an education that's worth celebrating and being proud of. So to those who think trade schools "don't count" and that their "not a real education", shame on you. Who are you to judge?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That took forever to figure out! This is just a look back on mine and Dallins year and all the fun stuff that has happend!!!






3 comments:
Well said!!! I love that there are opportunities to learn something so specific to help others in life. Who are we without dental assistants??!! People with dirty, nasty teeth :-)!!! Who are dentists without their assistants??! Just a person in a white coat...hahaha!! We all know it's you who do all the work. Thanks for sharing!!!
I totally wish I had done a trade program while in high school! I think it's awesome that you took advantage of that. Not to mention the countless hours of education and work you've put into being a mother!!!! There is no other job that compares to being a parent.
Why would someone look down on that? I don't get it. I admire you for being so together that you studied a trade. And while in High School! I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going in High School. While I wouldn't go back and change anything ('cause then I wouldn't have my husband, or these children!) I think studying a trade would have been a much wiser path for me to have followed.
Post a Comment